Well, I have definitely gotten the bug about doilies. I have spent the past few weeks starting doilies and working about the first 30+ rounds of different patterns to see how they are constructed. There are lots of little wadded up doily centers about the house. It resembles the home for coasters in rehab.
Anyway, I decided to jump in and make my own. Yes, that's correct, design my own doily. I started of simple with a spiral pattern. Nothing else but YO, K, YO, K2 K2tog, then YO, K, YO, K3 K2tog, building upon itself. Well, by row 19 I was really bored. So, I reversed the direction and added a SSK at the beginning of my motif. That worked out well but since things were now shrinking in my motif I had to add something in to fill the gap and help the doily grow.
Well, here it is. I don't know what row I stopped on. I think somewhere in the 30s.
I'm not sure what pattern to add next. My brain is more focused on how to change the star and make it do different things. I may just stop here and keep this as an idea and go back and play with the center. I'm thinking that I would like to see things more curvy and swirly. I don't know if it can be done but I'm going to give it a go.
All and all, I'm very happy with my first ever knitting design. Now i just need to transfer the chart from paper to electronic. I think that will be my project for this weekend.