Friday, January 28, 2011

Confessions of an Addicted Knitter

It's official; I am addicted to knitting.  At the beginning of this school year, I began bringing my knitting to work.  While the kids are doing their seat work, I walk around the class knitting and helping them out.  Next, I started knitting during meetings.   No big deal there as I can knit and follow the conversations easily.  My problems really started when I began knitting during my plan time, "Oh, I can get to that grading later on.  I'll just knit a few more rows."  I just can't seem to get enough knitting in during my day (or spinning).  It is now at the point where I have to leave my knitting at home so that I can do my job.  What's worse, is that I resent the fact that I have to work and can't pursue my fiber fun.  Maybe I should seek therapy.  

As for my knitting adventures, I'm still stuck in this doily thing.  Actually, I'm thinking about taking my doily concepts and turning them into round shawls.  I'm seriously wanting to do the whole design thing.  I do a ton of knitting and ripping, playing with different stitches and the ripping again.  I'm loving it.

All this practice is actually starting to pay off.  I'm really beginning to understand how to change from stocking stitch to lace.  Making the transition between the two, and having it look good, has been a challenge.

Here is my latest.  It will eventually become a shawl. 
This is just the center motif; however, I am very happy with the transition from stocking stitch to lace.  Adding the next motif is going to be interesting.  I know what I want to do but having the translate to a nicely knitted piece is a different story. 

Hopefully, in a week or two, I'll be able to show the finished product.

3 comments:

  1. Have already taken these small type doiley designs and done them on size 15 needles with 3 strands of yarn and used them for rugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Can't wait to see the next iteration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I can so identify with your knitting addiction! I work freelance as a translator, and work from home, so there's no place to leave it. I just have to force myself. And I won't say how late I've been up knitting "just one more row..." :)

    ReplyDelete