Friday, November 19, 2010

Steeking Away!

There is nothing better for getting a ton of knitting done than a long plane flight coupled with a long stay at your parents house.  This has been my recent experience; a nice long flight from Portland to Houston (and back) and then lots of time watching old movies with my parents.
This allowed me to complete the body of my first ever fair isle sweater.  The next step was to cut open the steeks and pick up the stitches for the sleeves.  Having never cut open my knitting before, this was a terrifying concept for me to wrap my brain around.  Anyway, after a glass of wine, I had enough courage to cut away. (actually, the wine probably wasn't the best idea) 
At some level, I feel that cutting open your first steek is a rite of passage in the world of knitting; so, I documented it.  Here are the pictures!
Look at all of that knitting that I'm about to cut into.






AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
And here it is; a beautiful open space for me to pick up stitches for the sleeve.  I'm actually very surprised at how well this works.  I did backstitch the edges of the steeks just to be on the safe side; however, the steeks just rolled up on themselves and stayed put.  I have started the sleeves and it's knitting up really well.  Doing seamless sweaters this way just makes a ton of sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment